Earth Day

Saturday, December 5, 2015

Sermon for Year C, First Sunday of Advent, November 29, 2015

C Advent 1 OL BFC 2015
Isaiah 56:1-7; Luke 1:39-56
November 29, 2015

          Charles Koch was the Boy Scout leader with my father when I was stuck on a badge that I just could not get.  Though I tried and tried, the information would not stay in my head.  So I made a cheat sheet.  And when my father asked me the questions, I thought real hard, pressing my temples in concentration,  dropping my head to my feet under the table where my pre-recorded answers had been carefully placed.  Immediately after I beat the odds and secured the badge, Charles Koch took me aside and said, “Mike, I saw what you did and that is not who you are.  I’m not going to tell your dad.  But you do not need to cheat like that.  Don’t do it again.”  In his own gentle admonishment, Charles Koch held me accountable in a way my parents never could.
          Mrs. Stieglitz, a 2nd grade teacher at the local school who was not my homeroom teacher but one of the members of my church, sent me a birthday card every year to let me know I was loved and cared for by people who were not my parents.
My local church pastor, Rev. Kenneth Roedder, walked into Sunday School class while I slumped in the oversized chair in the youth room.  “Mike,” he said, “I was so proud of you out there.” 
“What?” I said in disbelief.  My dad, my high school baseball coach, had been harangued enough by my mother to put me in a game that he brought me into two games that week with the bases loaded.  Each time I had given up a grand slam home run.  “What?  Rev, I gave up two grand slam home runs out there.  Two in the same week!”
“I know, Mike, and I was so proud of you because after those home runs were hit, you didn’t give up.”  That was one of the first days I remember thinking that maybe God did not think like I thought, that God’s eyes were different than mine.  Rev. Roedder told me something my parents never could.
  The Search Institute has been an organization that for the past 50 years has been listening to young people to determine what makes for their healthy growth and development.   In so doing, The Search Institute has developed a list of 40 assets that make for a healthy adolescent life.  I have made copies of the whole list and placed it out on the narthex table for you to take home with you if you would like to reflect on those internal and external assets that can mean so much to a young person’s life.[1] 
          I want to reflect on one of the external assets found in that list because I think it relates what it means to be church, a community of people who come together out of a strong sense that our journeys inform one another, feed one another, nurture one another, give life to one another, even hold one another accountable.  I almost used the words “strong belief” but a shared sense of belief is not what the progressive Christian church is about.  As I shared last week in Adult Forum, the early Christian Church was not about right or shared belief but about right or shared practice and action.  Somewhere along the way, a huge shift occurred where the Christian Church became obsessed about belief over and against action and practice.  Ok, long explanation.
          The one external asset for a healthy adolescence I want to focus on is “other adult relationships.”  The Search Institute relates that young people have a better chance for a healthy adolescence if they receive support from three or more nonparent adults.  My life is certainly a testimony to this truth.  Boy Scout leaders, public school teachers, my local church pastor and church members all provided support for me in a way that my parents just could not have done so.  Because if part of growing up is necessarily showing your parents and the world that you are growing into the full independence and maturity, there is certain advice you just cannot hear, certain support you just cannot receive, and certain roads you cannot travel just to prove you are not your parents.  So it is critical that there are a community of voices, a diverse group of experiences, and several different models of a faithful life so that our young people might see all the faithful choices that are available to them.
          To acknowledge this truth, that we are not self-made, that in particular a healthy adolescent life requires a community of people to surround and support us,  is such a strongly counter-cultural statement in a country where we are forever crafting government policy based on the silly notion that we make it on our own. 
And it is found in our Scripture verse for today.  The Bible knows none of this nonsense about the faithful hero or heroine who makes it on their own.  The young girl, Mary, perhaps 12 or 13 years old, learns by the angel Gabriel that she will conceive a son and give birth to a promised child.  Immediately, Mary runs with haste to hear the wisdom of her older cousin Elizabeth.  Families in ancient Judaism were probably much more like our Native American sisters and brothers who have a much more extended understanding of family than the nuclear one white European immigrant culture has come to define as family.  Mary needs help translating the activity of God in her life.  She needs a mentor to help her translate the meaning of all this in her life.  And rather than dismissing Mary’s wild telling and translation out of hand or telling Mary she is crazy, Elizabeth affirms Mary’s experience and asks questions herself--so that they might both wonder together what is happening in their age. 
What a gift this is to young people when they come across a mentor who affirms their experience, who does not answer all their questions for them, but joins with them in asking questions of deep meaning in which they both may immerse themselves in wonder, curiosity, and reflection.  Elizabeth asks, affirming Mary, “Why do I have this honor that the mother of my Lord may come to visit me?”  Immediately, Mary breaks into a song of liberation, an acknowledgment of how God’s justice breaks forward in the world when we can affirm the power we see displayed in our young people.  In so doing, Mary is able to affirm the story of how God has acted in accordance with the truths known by her ancestors.  Elizabeth affirms Mary.  Mary, in return, affirms the Jewish God of justice, defender of the poor, the lion of Judah, who roars against the rich. 
Harvard Graduate School professor, Robert Kegan, writes of meaning-making as a lifelong process that begins by rightly going from one pole of independence to another pole in dependence, back and forth, growing in depth.  This lifelong process is about a tension between how we are connected, attached, and included on the one hand and how we are distinct, autonomous, and independent on the other.  Growth only happens in meaning-making, Kegan believes, from a safe place, what Kegan references as a place of embeddedness.   In these places of embeddedness, a crisis in meaning can lead to new discovery and growth.  And the ultimate depth in meaning-making is found when a person can hold being connected in full tension with being independent—a person knows themselves to be interdependent.[2] 
What is meaning-making if not the journey of an individual in faith, a community of people tied together by common stories and myths that transcend generations?
As I read the story of Mary of Nazareth and her older cousin Elizabeth, I see a teenager who is brought to a crisis in faith by events that call upon her to do something far beyond her years.  As a result, she turns to a trusted adult and mentor who helps her to understand herself as not only belonging to a tradition in which she is embedded but also that God would indeed single her out for a courageous call.  Mary remains with Elizabeth for the first few months of her pregnancy as a safe place for a young woman living out a courageous call. Where we have missed out in the telling of this story is not to recognize that all of our young people are waiting to hear that God calls them to a depth of growth in interdependence and courage.  Mary of Nazareth is the place, person, and mentor, the place of embeddedness for a son who grows in interdependence and courage. 
Most often, however, as The Search Institute indicates, adults other than a teen’s parents are necessary for a healthy adolescence that leads to their growth in meaning-making.  Next month Kim Harris, Rev. Steve Gordon, and I will begin a new confirmation program at this church.  This program is based in the assumption that our young people, our teens, need you as mentors to their meaning-making in this world . . . so that they might be the courageous people God intends them to be.  What we might find, in bringing the generations together in this way, is that our teens, in return, might speak courageously in a way that helps us to move to an even deeper place of meaning-making. 
But this task is before all of us beyond a confirmation process.  We should be seeking ways we can all be mentors or call upon mentors within the faith community.  We are all called to be church.  If the church looks like us and serves only us every Sunday, then we have fashioned God into our image. 
The Search Institute offers practical ways we all might take action to mentor adolescent youth we see in our wider communities, in our faith communities.  First, swap a CD or an mp3 player with a teen.  Listen to the music together if you can and share with each other why you enjoy or pick that music.  Or . . . find a gourmet goodie buddy.  Bake brownies, cookies, or other treats with a young person as a fun way to spend time with one another.  Third, send cards or emails to a young person you know to mark holidays, birthdays, or other important milestones in their lives.  Fourth, invite a young friend to till, plant, or tend a garden patch with you as a way of spending time with them.  In this weather, maybe create a container garden with potted plants.  And the Search Institute recommends that parents and young people actively look for mentors to help take some pressure off of a very often high pressure life.  Maybe it’s someone who shares a passion of theirs?  A colleague?  A music teacher?  An employer?[3]
This is the challenge of what it means to be church—that we might provide mentorship and a place of embeddedness so that every generation might speak courageously of God’s activity in the world.  Our young people face challenges in the world like no other generation before them.  They need us—to let them know that preceding generations found ways to walk a faithful path, to grow and evolve as the earth itself faced annihilation, to overcome when violence and war threatened to divide and destroy us.  We might be very surprised then to turn around and see God acting through them to speak with a strong voice, getting connected, and moving in the world with courage.  May all of our souls magnify the Living God.  Amen.




[1]Search Institute, “40 Developmental Assets for Adolescents,”  http://www.search-institute.org/content/40-developmental-assets-adolescents-ages-12-18#.
[2] Robert Kegan,  Evolving Self:  Problem and Process in Human Development (Boston:  Harvard University Press, 1983).
[3] The Search Institute, “40 Developmental.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...