Earth Day

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Sacred Place Worship Series 8, October 9, 2016, "Home as Sacred Place"

Sacred Place 8 BFC 2016
Psalm 16
October 9, 2016

Boy, the way Glenn Miller played. Songs that made the hit parade.
Guys like us, we had it made. Those were the days.
And you knew who you were then, girls were girls and men were men.
Mister, we could use a man like Herbert Hoover again.
Didn't need no welfare state. Everybody pulled his weight.
Gee, our old LaSalle ran great. Those were the days.[1]


          Many of you probably remember that as the opening theme song sung by Archie and Edith Bunker for the award-winning 70s television show, “All in the Family.”  The song framed the show, gave texture to how Archie Bunker thought of what it meant to be “home”, the setting for the show almost entirely within the confines of the Bunker home in Queens, New York.  For Archie Bunker, home was a vague nostalgia that hearkened back to a time when Glenn Miller was playing in the background, a guy like Archie ruled the world, and there was no doubt who was the head of the household.  Guys like Archie remembered a day before the New Deal when personal responsibility was the rule and industry and business hummed like it was supposed to, carried the day without work stoppage or strike.  It was a time when America was great in a way that was more a feeling than anything that was tangible or something you could get your hands on.  But those were the days.

          To a degree, I remember defining home in a similar, vaguely nostalgic way more about feeling rather than anything I might define in concrete, material, or tangible “things.”
The garage was underneath my bedroom so each day when my dad would go to work, I would hear the car door open, the door slam shut, and then the car start.  I knew the inevitable was about to happen.  I would hear the car door open back up, the door from the house open, and then the car door slam shut again.  I would burrow down into my pillow, knowing that my dad remembered me.  It began by mistake, really.  I would leave my baseball glove in the car, dad would spot it, and then he would dutifully make sure I had it for the day by removing it from the car and putting it into the house.  This was home to me, a way that I knew that my dad had a thought for me.  As time went on, I would intentionally leave my glove in the car so I could hear that morning rhythm day after day.  I know I was lucky.  Not all parents who are care for their children as mine did.  Not all houses we live in are safe and thoughtful and loving.  Little rituals like that developed my understanding of a spiritual practice as something that is regular, consistent, and persistent.  I never even gave much thought to how my dad thought of this little “dance.”  My dad just did it every day.  Whether my dad knew it, he was participating in a form of spiritual rhythm for his oldest son. 
          And that was when I knew I was home.  Even when I was asleep, someone had a thought for me—that the universe was fundamentally friendly. It was something that happened more in my head though, loosely connected to the “thing” that was my baseball mitt. 
I think that’s important because as Christians living in the good ole U. S. of A., some of us have never had to worry about a meal, where we might sleep for the night, a location where we might get potable water, how we will make it in the world of material deprivation.[2]   So we are susceptible to being deceived by the intangibly and vaguely nostalgic rather than a rootedness that recognizes the human condition requires basic “things” for us to know we are home—food, shelter, water.
 One of the criticisms I have of spirituality in Western Christianity is that it has seemingly become increasingly only about our interior.   So as Christians define what it means to be “home”, that definition becomes less and less about common and public space and increasingly about an inner, spiritual life.  Spirituality moves from the town square, to inside the gated community, to only practiced inside the picket fence, and, finally, each to their own, inside the heart of the individual believer.  We are told to find our home not only inside our body but to shrink it down to reside as feelings within our heart. 
          The unifying feature of Psalm 16, the Scripture passage Joy read for us, is that God cares for our external “thingness.”  And the “thing” invoked is the land, the place where God bestows material blessing.  My Hebrew Scripture professor, J. Clinton McCann, would remind us that land, for ancient peoples, was access to life.  Psalm 16, this ancient song echoes language from the book of Joshua, a time when the Children of Israel were working out whether they had the courage to claim the promised land. We can hear those references to land in Psalm 16 through words like “portion”[3] and “lot”[4] and “boundary lines”[5] (in the New Revised Standard Version, “portions”) in verses five and six, and “inheritance” or “heritage”[6], translated “home” in verse six of the Common English Bible.[7] 
          And “inheritance” and “heritage” should remind us of that story from Naboth’s vineyard.  The family farmer, Naboth, will not give over his inheritance, his heritage, to King Ahab for temporary gain.  For the land was given by God to Naboth, as an inheritance, to keep his family free, to continue to give them access to life.  And so I remind you of God’s values spoken in that iconic story of Naboth’s vineyard:

o God owns the land.  It does not vest in the State or the multinational corporation or the local or transnational financial institution.  God owns the land. 
o The land is given for the shalom of the whole community (Shalom meaning peace, wholeness, connectedness).  So if the land usage or residence or treatment does not, in its materiality, its “thingness”, provide access to life, then it falls outside the will of God. 
o The land is not for sale.  (You and the Land are one.)  And if the land is up for sale, best bet is that you can be bought and sold as well.
o  Keeping the land in the “family” keeps the community free.
o The land can be redeemed to avoid debt slavery and provide sabbath
o The land requires rhythms of Sabbath and rest.  If the people and the land are one, rhythms of production and consumption cannot be the governing or sole rhythms.  The commandment, of all the 10 commandments, that receives the most attention is the Sabbath.  We are to remember that those people and places that operate solely in a way that produces and consumes are known by one name—slaves.  God did not liberate the Children of Israel from Egypt only to become slaves in the promised land. 

So for the ancient Jew, “home” began with a concrete, tangible, external “thingness” in the land that cares for our material well-being, with allusions to food and drink, portion and cup in verse five.  But then extended out to other concrete things that a tangible sense of place provides--safety, refuge from threats, and belonging, found in the first two verses of the Psalm.  
             Hear the strong political connotations of those verses.  Who are the people that need a safe place?  Those who are under threat of violence or death.  Who are the people who require refuge?  Refugees.  So often the case for the Jewish people, perhaps any people living in the crosshairs of advancing empires. 
             Finally, Psalm 16 ends with the other things that should define what “home” means.  Home provides you with roots, or a sense of rootedness.  Home should teach us familiar rites and rituals where we learn a way of wisdom that brings, or helps us to recognize, joy and beauty.   
             I am so thankful to Tracy for this.  She regularly teaches this to Sophia in a way that I hear Sophia now appropriating.  I remember falling in love with Tracy as I witnessed this.  She would regularly bend down and name a flower or an herb, take the zest between her fingers, smell it herself as a source of delight, and then offer it to Sophia or me if we were walking along with her.  I have to regularly chide Tracy for taking pictures of her drive to Columbus, as she drives to Columbus, to show off to others on Facebook.  She tries to tell us that she stops to take the pictures but Sophia and I are highly suspicious of this claim.  When we are with her, she will regularly point to beauty and ask us to observe it with her.  I now see Sophia walking in this way, appreciative of the beauty found in the world.  It is a way that Tracy has taught, and Sophia has learned, how to recognize beauty in the world.  Hopefully, Sophia will continue to recognize the beauty and selectively eschew her mother’s penchant for taking pictures as she drives.  Home is a place of rootedness, the anchor, where you learn the rites and rituals where we learn a way of wisdom that brings, or helps us to recognize, joy and beauty. 
             Today is one of those Sundays when I am going to ask for your input on what is “home” to you.  But before I do that, I thought I would relate some unique definitions of home I found in our wider culture:
o   Well, I’m going home, to the place where I belong, and where your love has always been enough for me.  (pop song, Christ Daughtry, “I’m going home”
o   A warm bed that you can’t get out of in the morning, a tiny pink toothbrush in the bathroom, and the sound of my husband’s key in the door at the end of the day.
o   Love is to come home dying from the world and find life there.
o   Home is the place, where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in.
o   There’s no place like home.  There’s no place like home.  –Dorothy, Wizard of Oz 

So now I am going to turn to you with a couple questions.  In just a couple minutes of minutes, I will ask you to break into groups of three or four to discuss these questions: 
o   What is home to you:  Its geographical “thingness?”  Characteristics that rhyme or do not rhyme with Psalm 16?
o   How is Billings First Congregational, or how should any faith community be a “home?”  How do we work at Billings First Congregational becoming a spiritual home?

(A minute of silence followed by discussion with the presenting questions.)

In Western Protestant Christianity, we have increasingly taught that “home” can be found in an ever smaller, more private space.  But hear this, Biblical Christianity tells us that the earth is our home—the floor, the ground of the good earth on which we walk; the vaulted ceiling, the sky that displays the promises of God in the stars.  If we know that to be true, we cannot see suffering and death, the lack of the material bases of life, the “thingness” on our part of God’s good earth and not on another and believe that it is home sweet home.  In the end, what the Bible really teaches is the paradox that the earth is our home and that we must find home within ourselves. What we have done is so shrink that idea that we get ourselves off the hook. 
          I began this sermon with a song from a couple decades ago and spoke of home as a “feel good nostalgia” that was short on thingness.  In contrast, this is a song by Jason Mraz called, “93 million miles” which shares that poetic paradox of finding home within ourselves and home upon this good earth.  I end with this beautiful song.  As you listen, may you experience God’s good intent for our joy on this good earth, our home.  Amen. 

93 million miles from the sun
People get ready, get ready
'Cause here it comes it's a light
A beautiful light
Over the horizon in to your eyes

Oh, my, my

How beautiful
Oh my beautiful mother
She told me

Son in life you're gonna go far
If you do it right
You'll love where you are
Just know that wherever you go
You can always come home


240 thousand miles from the moon
You've come a long way to belong here
To share this view of the night
A glorious night
Over the horizon is another bright sky


Oh, my, my
How beautiful
Oh my irrefutable father
He told me

Son sometimes it may seem dark
But the absence of the light is a necessary part
Just know, that you're never alone
You can always come back home


Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh
You can always come back home


Every road is a slippery slope
There is always a hand that you can hold on to
Looking deeper through the telescope
You can see that your homes inside of you

Just know, that wherever you go
No you're never alone
You will always get back home


Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh
Oh oh

Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh
Oh oh


93 million miles from the sun
People get ready, get ready
'Cause here it comes it's a light
A beautiful light
Over the horizon in to our eyes





[2] Again, so much of what I have been working with her is from Belden Lane, Landscapes of the Sacred:  Geography and Narrative in American Spirituality (Baltimore:  John Hopkins University Press, 2001).
[3] Joshua 19:9
[4] Joshua 18:6, 8
[5] Joshua 17:5
[6] Joshua 14:3, 17:6
[7] J. Clinton McCann, “Commentary on Psalm 16,” WorkingPreacher, https://www.workingpreacher.org/preaching.aspx?commentary_id=1716

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...