Earth Day

Monday, May 9, 2022

Sermon, Third Sunday of Easter, "The Call of Paul, Righteous Jew"

 

C Easter 3 Pilg 2022
Acts 9:1-8
May 1, 2022 

           Who knew?  I mean, really?  When in Rome, do as the Romans do, right?  Rome is this hodgepodge of many peoples and many gods competing for space and loyalty.   We fight each other over the small squares Rome allots to us.   As a Jew, this was the long history of our faith.  Our people had seen a great line of emperors and empires compete for our loyalties—from Pharaoh in Egypt, to Nebuchadnezzer in Babylon, to the Greek Antiochus Epiphanes, to now Caesar in Rome—all claiming absolute loyalty, all claiming eternal rule, all claiming to be an equal to God.  As a Jew, I was well-schooled and studied on this.  There is no god but the Living God of our ancestors, right?

           Rome has its creed.  “I thank God that I am a Roman and not a barbarian (meaning everybody else, right?), I thank God that I am born free and not a slave.  I thank God that I am a man and not a woman.”[1]  Presumably, Rome, as the incarnation of violence and war, saw us all as the uncivilized, unwashed hordes.  I, even I, claimed my Roman citizenship when it helped me get along in the world.  If we were so lucky as to escape the poverty found everywhere, we would thank God that they were not the poor and long-suffering. 

Again, within Rome is this mish-mash of all these kinds of different, conquered peoples and loyalties where people other than Jews carry with them some of their ancestral superstition.  I’m sorry, each one with their own faith.  This is the way of the world.  As a Jew, I had seen it as my job to hold the line against all other superstitions, contenders . . . I mean faiths.  The Greeks had their Father Zeus—Epicureans and Stoic, their philosophies, the cult of Isis and Mithras, the Persian sun god, all with a different version.   Rome liked to play us off against each other.  Divide and conquer. Divide to conquer, right?

Rome knew that if it could keep us fighting one another, we would never turn our attention to them instead--resisting and revolting against Rome.  Greeks would kill a number of Jews at one circus.  We would rise up and kill many more Greeks at the next circus.  Back and forth.  Thus it went.  We all moved to position ourselves as “legitimate” under the thumb of Rome.  Just as they liked it.  Just as they planned it. 

           You can imagine then, to have what it felt like a loyalty challenge within your own faith.  How this cult begin to catch fire, how alarming this was to me.  As a good Jew, already feeling pressed by rival sup . . .faiths,  how we, as Jews, were trying to make our way in the world when a superstition or cult within your own faith tries to claim space already taken.  I was furious. Jews already had so much to contend without.   But to fight those battles within?

           A peasant leader, crucified, like so many other Jews before and after him, threatens to divide us even more, undercut the rank we hold in the pecking order, and dilute the Jewish cause. That the Jewish faith might show itself greater than any other rival, I actively sought out these followers of The Way--in their meeting places.  I beat them, oversaw their killings, and would arrest them to take them back to Jerusalem to have them tried. 

           But then . . . this.  I had what I can only describe as a vision, a revelation, a new call from God and this crucified Jesus.  He didn’t provide answers.  He didn’t tell me his way was the better way.  He asked me about the suffering of a people and why I would persecute him?  What kind of faith is this that begins with questions and does not readily supply answers?  And in that moment, I woke up to something.  I recognized that my loyalties and faith were supposed to be . . . different.  Was being a Jew about conquering?  About needing to prove ourselves over all rivals?

In my persecuting of these people, how was I any different from Rome?  In fact, I was doing Caesar’s bidding by dividing people up, quashing differences, and seeking out a monolithic faith that had always been so big and wide and vast.  Then it was that something else occurred to me.  As Jews we have always claimed that God is bigger than just us.  Yeah, yeah, we may be the manifestation of the Living God in the world, but within my people’s Scriptures are these dreams of all peoples flowing to the throne of the Almighty.  For Jews, this was to be our dream, the Day of the Living God, that others not be our competition but know and find a common path. 

      As this Jesus not only appeared to me on the road to Damascus but through the Jewish teaching he extended to his initiation rites.  And, in a moment in time, I remembered who I was called to be as a Jew.  This Jewish group begins their initiation rites by saying, "There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female."[2]

It was about remembering our common identity, our common way as Children of God--it was about our solidarity.[3]   I am a Roman citizen.  I think I identified more as that than as a Jew.

Whenever I extended the rivalry to another faith and another people, I was just Rome’s citizen, Rome’s tool of violence and judgment against others.  I was not a righteous Jew.  I was a righteous Roman, dividing and conquering others, extending hate to oppressed and colonized people.  This is what this Jesus knew that made me a more righteous Jew:  destroying one another, persecuting one another, vying for supremacy and lordship over one another—this is not God’s Way..  Oh, we may kill and maim and destroy in the name of the Living God.  But how is this not Cain killing Abel all over again?

           Is killing and maiming and destroying others in your God’s name the way you show your faith’s superiority over others?   Are you great because you are a citizen of your country and others are not?  Free? A man?   If so, I say you have no faith.  I say your faith is too delicate and too fragile.  “If you want to do violence in this world, you will always find the weapons.  If you want to heal, you will always find the balm.”[4]  It really depends on what you are looking for.   And what I was looking for before this vision, well, I think I was looking to justify myself.  And the vision I had on the road to Damascus opened me up to the possibility that I was already justified.  And so was everyone else.  And what the Living God called me to do, more than anything, was to help Gentile as well as Jewish ears hear that they had been justified too—that these divisions created were fictional, made up to keep us at one another, tearing one another apart. 

           Who has an interest in keeping you at one another?  Do you have the freedom to say you will no longer do it, practice it, prepare for the harm?  Why are you any different in God’s eyes than the Greek, the Athenian, the Stoic?  It was and is the dream of all of Israel that all peoples might flow to God’s throne.  Not as conquered and beaten peoples but as people who know God’s glory and flow willingly to that throne.  Who are we, then, to prevent that? 

           I am no longer Saul, the unrighteous Jew who sought to prove my faith through acts of violence to show God as the punisher of all who are not like me.  I am Paul who seeks to bring Greek and Jew to table with one another, who recognizes that ways we create hierarchies to show our superiority based on ethnicity, social class, and gender are no more in Christ Jesus.  I believe this makes me more thoroughly Jewish, more thoroughly faithful.

Maybe we are all a mix of that unfaithfulness and faithfulness.  I ask myself, “What hierarchies have you created, Paul, to show your unrighteousness?”  And then again, “What tables have you fashioned, Paul, so that all peoples might flow to the throne of God?” 

Be a righteous Jew, or Greek, or Athenian, or Stoic, or whatever it is you are so that this proving our faiths over one another might come to an end.  And we might all walk the road to Damascus as a touchstone of joy, our eyes opened.  Violence and war by faith—that is the superstition.  May we all be initiated into the faith that is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female.  That is true faith.  Amen. 



[1] Stephen J. Patterson, “Interview with Stephen J. Patterson,” Westar Institute, https://www.westarinstitute.org/blog/scholar-feature-stephen-patterson/?fbclid=IwAR2ICaUr9a28GHo61oLxJsEt_Xc02Ycx6vNcV3cY2GVmyL5NuXg6O0zqU2A; Stephen J. Patterson, The Forgotten Creed:  Christianity’s Original Struggle Against Bigotry, Slavery, & Sexism (Oxford:  Oxford University Press, 2018).

[2] Galatians 3:26-28.  Patterson notes that the early creed probably did not include “in Christ Jesus.”

[3] Patterson, “The Forgotten Creed.”

[4] Rachel Held Evans, A Year of Biblical Womanhood:  How a Liberated Woman Found Herself Sitting on Her Roof, Covering Her Head, and Calling Her Husband 'Master’ (Nashville, TN:  Thomas Nelson, 2012) , p. 296

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...