Earth Day

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Sermon, Fifth Sunday of Easter, "Friends and Followers"

 C Easter 5 Pilg 2022
Revelation 13:11-18; 18:1-4,9,11; 21:1-6
May 15, 2022

 

           Two treasured terms within the history of Christianity are “friendship” and “followers.”  Friendship with God is well-illustrated in the Sayings of the Fathers of the Egyptian desert.  Fourth-Century Gregory of Nyssa (following his brother, Basil) and the 5th Century Theodoret of Cyrrhus described friendship with God as the goal of growth in the Christian life.[1] 

           And Jesus begins his public ministry by calling his would-be disciples to “Follow me.”  Become my followers. 

           Now this gives me pause when I realize how active I am on social media.  Facebook’s primary category is “friends.”  Twitter invites you to become “followers.” 

           On Facebook, friends are people who are willing to observe your preaching, excuse me, your one to two sentence observations or descriptions of your ongoing life, humor, or mood.  Friends are allowed to comment, offer suggestions, or to thank you for sharing scenes from your recent vacation.  When my wife and my mother-in-law took a recent spring trip to Belgium and Holland, I got to see all the great times they were having without me, while I was sitting on my couch . . . in Sawyer.  No . . . really . . . that’s ok. (tearing up)  I’ll be fine. 

           I have 668 friends on Facebook.  Pretty sweet, huh?  My son, Abraham, has way more friends than I do without even trying.  I know of people who brag about having over 1000 friends.  But 668 is pretty good, right?  To have that many friends?  Except . . . those people I have listed . . . they’re not really “friend” friends.  I am neither that popular nor that loving.  I’m not sure I even know or have met some of the people who are my Facebook friends.

           And Twitter, Twitter is even worse!  It is great to have friends, even better to have a following!  I spend too many days hoping a Facebook friend will like my post.  I went over the moon when one of my favorite authors liked my post!  And then shared it!  And Anna Lappé, one of my favorite writers and leaders, now follows me on Twitter.  Life is complete!

           Facebook and Twitter have totally re-defined what it means to have a friend and a following.  It is the nature of cultural systems we give our allegiance to, cooperate with, or participate in, that those systems sometimes end up defining, using, and caging us more than we define, use, and contain the time we spend with them.  So much so, that Tik-Tok even has videos they throw in to say to you, “Yeah, you really should go to bed.  Stop watching so many videos.”  I’m caught.  I’m addicted.  I’m no longer free. 

           Several years ago I gave up social media for Lent because I knew I was caught, addicted, and needed to extricate myself from the unhealthy ways social media was defining me.  Ugh, it was rough.  And it reminded me how much social media is a metaphor for wider commitments and loyalties.

           On a national global scale, the book of Revelation is about a “freedom from” the Roman imperial project to have “freedom for” the things of God.  In effect saying, you cannot call yourself a friend of Rom and consider yourself a friend of Rome. 

           The book of Revelation is a reminder that the New Testament is based on the pose, poetry, and images of Hebrew Scripture.  Revelation is a book that is thoroughly Jewish in content.  In Revelation, the strong use of numerology, visions, and values all have Jewish sensibilities—particularly the critique of empire.

           Remember that the birth story of the Jewish people, the Exodus, is a critique of the Egyptian Empire.  Even when Israel rises as the most power imperial power in the ancient near East, prophets are afoot to ask David if Israel is really any different than Egypt was, or any different than any other empire. 

           One by one ten, the Assyrian, Babylonian, Persian, Syrian, and Roman Empires marched through what the Children of Israel believed to be the promised land and claimed it as their own.  Each of these empires also required some form of tribute, an allegiance that often demanded some form of religious, political, and economic fidelity to their gods, with the king, emperor, or pharaoh often making divine claims—Daniel in the lion’s den, or with Bel and the Dragon, Shadrach, Meschack, and Abednego in the fiery furnace, Esther presenting herself to the king at the threat of death, Mordecai refusing to take a knee to the local lord, the Maccabees refusing to ordain the sacrifice of a pig in the Temple.  All these Biblical heroes and heroines had to determine how to balance loyalty to the empire versus loyalty to their God, their faith, and their people.  Just in sharing these stories, we know there were so many others who were faithful that did not escape, persecution, torture, and death. 

           As a result, in Jewish storytelling, allegiance to, cooperation with, and participation in the religion, economics, or politices of empire became the definition of evil.  Jewish heroes like Joseph or Daniel or Esther may have ascended to high rank and position within the empire, but eventually their faith practice or the plight of their people would run counter to imperial edict.  The listed Scriptural stories were about how a faithful Jew, outed by their loyalties, their friendships, their followings, their spiritual practice, navigated faithfulness.  Even the apostle Paul would use his Roman citizenship to make his way in the world but often found himself in conflict, turmoil, and prison for his faithfulness.

           In this Jewish storytelling, Babylon became the iconic empire, the seat of all evil.  In critiquing empire, Jewish writers used Babylon to remember that empire regularly conquered with violence, war, and death.  Blood covered the earth.  Empire also led to regular practices of economic injustice.  Real, physical hunger was ignored.  The poor were cheated of their subsistence so that the rich could regularly fill themselves with lavish fare.  Finally, one of the signposts of imperial sin was ecological devastation.  The earth hemorrhaged. Mother Earth, as a living, spiritual being, began to wheel out of control in chaos.  Famines, disease, and catastrophic shortages became more commonplace.[2]

           To convey just how terrifying and ghastly these imperial practices were, Jewish storytellers created monstrous beasts with multiple heads, long teeth, and insatiable appetites.[3]  These monsters salted the land, burned the cities, killed or enslaved the men, raped the women, and turned paradise into desert.

           The book of Revelation is very specific in naming kings, military generals, and merchants as the enforcers of this living death.  Only a certain “marked” people can participate in the wealth such a system generates.  If a people is unwilling to play by the rules of the system, that people will be slaughtered at worst, excluded from the imperial wealth at best.  This Domination System ensured the participation of the masses through deception, brute force, and charity.  The rule is, however, that all must participate and comply.  Or die.  (Revelation 13:14, 16-17)

           The classic Jewish drama plays out in Revelation.  When allegiance or complicity is demanded which conflicts with allegiance to the Living God, how has a faithful Jew responded through the ages?  To whom do they give friendship?  To whom do they give following or loyalty?

           Remember that the Biblical definition for purity is to “will one thing.”  That is a prophetic statement which suggests that God unseats all other idols, priorities, or values.  The exiled author of Revelation, John of Patmos, advocates a fasting from the machinations of the Roman Empire.  The angel in Revelation 18 tells the faithful, “Come out of her, my people, so that you do not take part in her sins, and so that you do not share in her plagues.”

           As Jewish storytellers and prophets had declared for centuries, the correct response to impire was an unwillingness to provide allegiance for, cooperation with, or a participation in the imperial religious, political, or economic systems. 

           Exiled by Rome on the isle of Patmos, John made it clear that to choose for the Domination System, to choose for empire, meant lack of freedom or enslavement. Chapter 18 reads, “Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great.  She has become a haunt for demons.  She is a cage for every unclean spirit, a cage for every unclean bird, a cage for every unclean and disgusting beast.” 

           John urged the people to show their freedom through their unwillingness to show allegiance to, cooperate with, or participate in the Domination System.  For it is tempting to use the system to gain what little profit one can, when it appears to be your only source of life on the horizon.  Fast from the system of death, John encourages. 

           This fasting, or freedom from empire, allowed the faithful Jew to be free for the things of God.  Though it should be remembered that John’s vision is graphic about what your fasting from empire might cost you.  The cost of discipleship might mean your life.

           But, sisters and brothers, sibling and cousins, God’s purposes are being worked out.  And the future . . . ah, the future is so bright we have to wear shades.  John’s vision, part of it in Revelation 21, is borrowed from the Babylonian Exile prophet Exile prophet Ezekiel who believes the first order of joining hands with God is a friendship in solidarity that will lead to the creation of a new heaven and a new earth.  And the heaven and earth will be filled with the presence of God.  Caesar will be unseated and God will take the throne—with a whole set of other values. 

           War and sorrow are no more.  The land and creation are restored.  Rural and urban settings live in harmony.  The water will not be poisoned with lead


or despoiled with blood.  Rather, the river running from the throne will be crystal clear.

           Would that some evangelical, fundamentalist, or even mainline preacher study Revelation enough to notice that critique.  Can you imagine someone at one of these highly-advertised Revelation seminars preaching that the end of the world is coming because we have not headed off empires appetite for conquering through war, economic justice, and ecological devastation?

           The “freedom for” to “freedom for” found in Revelation must seem miles away from the simple fasting I did from social media one Lent.  But that fasting had me wondering how available I am for my faith and family when I spend too much time fretting over whether I should join the Wordle craze.  Do I use Facebook and Twitter for enjoyment or do they use me, manipulate me, define my world, tell me who are my friends?  Do I use my cell phone, my podcasts, or my Roku TV to entertain me, or does my cell phone (oh, I’d better check that email), my podcasts (do I have an Illini podcast cued up for my free time), or do the many Roku TV apps (will I have to join Hulu to watch that show?), do they all dictate my life?  Is my identity defined by the kings, military officers, and merchants of the world?  Or am I free enough to claim my faithful identity as a Child of God?  How do I claim the good I want to do?  Who am I friend to?  Who am I follower of?

           Even more gut-wrentching . . .

As a community, as a nation, how do we resist or fast from those practices of empire which are all about systems or cultures of conquering, and war, and economic injustice, and ecological catastrophe?  Do these systems and cultures define us and the wants, desires, and practices we have in the world?  Or are we able to, as John describes in Revelation, step out from them to define their role in our lives?  How do we claim our faithful identity as the Children of God?  As the Body of Christ?  How do we claim the good we want to do?

           God’s purposes are being worked out.  Though it might not be apparent, God is acting as a source of life, an underground spring that we may not believe war, economic injustice, and ecological catastrophe are the only ways we might live in the world.  May we choose the freedom for a place where war and sorrow are no more, where rural and urban settings live in harmony, heaven and earth are filled with the presence of God, and the river flows crystal clear from God’s throne.  May we have the courage to walk faithfully toward that vision.  Amen. 



[1] Roberta Bondi, “Prayer in Friendship with God,” Christian Century, January 29, 1997.

[2] See David J. Hawkin, “Globalization, Empire, and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse,” Churchman 118 (2004), pp. 317-324.

[3] Heather Macumber, “A Monster without a Name:  Creating the Beast Known as Antiochus IV in Daniel 7,” Journal of Hebrew Scriptures Vol. 15, Article 9, DOI:1055.08/jhs.2015.v.15.a9.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...