Earth Day

Thursday, July 23, 2026

Sermon, Year C, Reign of Christ, "Love in the particulars"

C Reign of Christ Pilg 2022
Luke 23:33-43
November 20, 2022

           In the time of Jesus, Augustus Caesar and Tiberius Caesar were the undisputed kings, sovereigns, rulers.  So it is a curious thing that we come to this time in the liturgical year, the end of the liturgical year, and reference it as Reign of Christ or Christ the King Sunday.  Jesus was certainly not the king in his time, made undeniably clear by his arrest, torture, and death. 

Common to the Jewish story was an uneasy relationship with even their own kings.  For God alone was king, ruler, sovereign.  As a result, claims to the throne immediately created a Jewish countercultural narrative where pharaohs, kings, and caesars were imagined as unseated for their cruel, wicked, and violent practices and replaced by a God of definitively different values.   Hebrew Scripture is replete with stories of how the Jewish people negotiated this reality—Moses before Pharaoh, Daniel in the lion’s den, Esther in the royal court, Jeremiah challenging the royal and religious elite—all risked their lives to speak with a strong voice and join hands with those laid low, those vanquished and conquered, or put under threat by the rulers of their time. 

Curious then, that in all three years of the Revised Common Lectionary, the Gospel passages chosen for Reign of Christ or Christ the King Sunday are uncharacteristic for those of a king.  In Matthew, in Year A, Jesus sits as judge over the nations and tells them they are only welcome in the kingdom as they met the needs of those who are naked, hungry, thirsty, and those thrown into prison.  This is the character of our king, not unlike the God who chose Hebrew slaves over Egyptian taskmasters, who cried like a fountain on behalf of the poor when the king had aggrandized the wealthy and powerful.  In Years B and C of the liturgical calendar, we read passages like Johnny read for us today.  They are the stories of Jesus’s betrayal and crucifixion. 

This is your king.  Much like 1.1 million Jews during his time, Jesus was tortured and executed through crucifixion.   What are we to make of that?  How are we to respond?

The apostle Paul, writing out of his context as a faithful Jew, responds by saying that he preaches not Christ triumphant, not Christ with power over, not Christ doing as Caesar does, but Christ crucified, Christ the defeated, Christ the vanquished.  In so doing, Paul remembers a long tradition that is not about ladder climbing, or grasping and clutching at power over others, or even “winning.”  Paul remembers a God who chooses Hebrew slaves over Egyptian taskmasters, the brave choices of Esther to protect a conquered people, and Hananiah, Misha'el, and Azariah who are better known by their Babylonian names Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego.  Those three are bound and thrown into the fiery furnace for refusing to bow to the image of King Nebuchadnezzar II, king of all of Babylon.  They worshipped the king of a different character.

I want to make it clear that all of these pharaohs, kings, rulers, and caesars did not see themselves the way the Jews saw them.  They saw themselves as the protectors of their people, the Father to many nations, chosen by gods or God to rule.  In the Priene inscription at Actium, the military victory of Octavian Caesar is referred to as “the gospel.”  Octavian is referred to as Augustus, “the one to be worshipped” and, ten years before the birth of Jesus, Octavian is referenced as the savior, his birth heralding the beginning of all time.  Caesar Augustus was known as the son of god, the prince of peace, the kind and benevolent father of the fatherland. 

This is the way of cruel conquerors.  They make general allusions to their benevolence and charity to the masses, their love for their people.  Even their violence and war are characterized as loving and kind and just.  The prophets, meanwhile, call pharaohs, kings, and caesars into account by naming the specifics, remembering historical pain, unmasking hypocrisy, and speaking out of a particularity which does not allow the Powers-That-Be to get away with broad, inclusive, decorative language which ends up being empty.  When Paul preaches Christ crucified, he is not only calling people of faith to a different way of being but he is also indicting the cruelty and savagery of Caesar.  However difficult or uncomfortable, whatever trouble it might get him into, Paul wants the truth told about what is happening to the Jews in First Century Rome.  You are not the benevolent father of the fatherland.  You are the crucifier of the Jews, the one who rapes and pillages our people, the one who pales in comparison to the one Jews know sits on the throne, the King and Shepherd of Israel.

Particularity, when it comes to inclusion--love, and justice, matter.  We know this in our primary relationships.  My oldest, Jacob, knows that I love him when I try to learn the language of computer software and how he put his latest project and make a concerted effort to visit him and Consuela.  Abe knows I love him by my willingness to listen to his efforts in emotional intelligence and leadership and let him know that I see him when he is trying to be fair as he negotiates life between me and his mom.  Sophia knows I love her when I read her latest poem, listen to her favorite podcast, when I seek her out for play slapfights, and when I seek out long car rides with just the two of us.  I could say I love all of my kids.  But they are listening, wondering, knowing that I live out that love in my willingness to do hard work on our relationship—in particularity.

Churches can also do this.  We are notorious for it.  In my work as a Healthy Congregations Facilitator, I have historically tried to help congregations develop words and mission statements that distinguish their identity and work.  One congregation wanted to use the word “inclusive” believing that so many of the other churches in their area were the opposite of inclusive.  But when we turned to how all of those other churches defined themselves, one of the primary words they all used was “inclusive.”  They wouldn’t say inclusive of what but I asked the congregation to think about that.  Maybe these other congregations were inclusive of young families, different kinds of music, maybe even different cultures, all things the “inclusive” church struggled with, but seemingly, every church in a 60-mile radius thought of itself as inclusive—in a general kind of way. 

Let me give you another example.  In 2001, the United Methodist Church began a what it referred to as a welcome and a call with the identifying words:  “Open Hearts.  Open Minds.  Open Doors.”  But here was the problem.  Open to what?  Open to whom?  To my disappointment, the church that my uncle who led Chaddock Children’s School, was a part of, the church my mom belongs to, and the church so many of my best colleagues led out and are a part of, fractured not so long ago by the way some people defined those words.  Because while the whole church uses the welcome and call “Open Hearts.  Open Minds.  Open Doors” there are some members of that blessed church who did not believe that should include the LGBTQ+ community.  And for many years, the United Methodist Church had contentious fights that led to fracturing.  When inclusive means “bland vanilla,” it actually means nothing, has no teeth or bite, is really non-offensive, but then can intentionally and unintentionally leave many knowing outside of the circle knowing what the message is.

“Life is messy,” my Pastoral Care professor, Peggy Way used to say, “and church is coming to the table to talk about the impossible things.”  Because we are all held in the particular, detailed love of God for us.  Even now, God is recognizing that the little scar that you have right behind your ear, God loves that.

Any number of churches I have served, some that have chosen to walk the journey of “Open and Affirming, often want how that is phrased to signal something more than the LGBTQ+ community so some people will not be offended.  They would like a blanket, more general statement, which conveys inclusion for everyone.  But my concern, in using glittering generalities, is that when we say “all” what we really mean is that we want to avoid messy history, difficult conversations, the grit and grist of courageous leadership which calls us to be particular.

I often try to explain it in this way.  Tracy and I regular tell each other we love each other in hellos and goodbyes and sometimes throughout the day.  “I love you,” is her text to me.  “I love you too,” is my text back to her.  But when we really want to capture each other’s attention, there are words she says to me or I say to her that let each other know, “No, now I’m really serious.  Pay attention.”  Or . . . I could sweep and mop the house . . . which she knows is not a value of mine so it is something I do to bring her peace of mind.  I could say to her, “You know, TM (Tracy Marie), you are really, really beautiful.”  And she might smile back and say, “Thank you.”  But then what happens when I would say, “And you know, there are many beautiful women out there your age?”  Isn’t that wonderfully inclusive?  And could get me killed?  And she is really, really beautiful and the most beautiful woman I know.

Or I could say, “I love you,” in one of those texts, and say, inclusively, “But you know, as a pastor, I have to love everybody.”  My love for her now loses a grit, an indication of my devotion and solidarity for and with her.  And I would duck and run for cover after saying this. 

           Our love is not called to be bland and general and vanilla.  Our love, as the people of God, is meant to be spicy, and creative, and detailed and not tied to winning or advancing or power over.  Miriam and Moses knew that.  Esther knew that.  Shadrach, Meschach, and Abednego knew that.  Paul knew that.  We should enjoy flavor.

           And all of that shows our intent to grow spiritually because we all know we are in process with these messy, uncomfortable things.  They show our direction, our intent to go and grow deeper.

           In the same way, the land and water acknowledgment made reminds us that our history has not been without its own violence and conflict.  And that we must repent of that, repair what we can, be on a different path to join hands with the conquered, too often vanquished, people who would be forgotten unless we intentionally remembered the particularity of our place.

           My hope then is that these things become so rote, so ordinary, that they get deep within us so that we cannot live life without the knowledge and wisdom of them. 

           There is one other thing I do every week because I want it to be a part of us.  And the absolutely wonderful things is that I have not only had children repeat it to their parents knowing what courageous thing they had to do at school but also had young couples repeat it in their wedding vows.  Whenever we have a children’s sermon, I say to them, “We will shout this out because we need to practice speaking with a strong voice, even when we are scared or shaking in our boots.  And, we need to stay connected, touch feet, to remember that we won’t make it alone.  We need each other.”  And children in churches I have served have said things to their mom like, “And then I remembered, when Josie, was being picked on by my friends, that I was supposed to speak with a strong voice.  Because Josie and I are connected.”

           And in one moment in time, the particularity of love issues forth, and some crazy thing I did in worship matters, even when we boringly repeat it thousands of times.  For that moment in time, what I do with you all doesn’t feel like it is wasted or useless but actually makes me believe that the reign of Christ might have a chance in our world.  Speak with a strong voice, Daniel, Esther.  Stay connected, Corinthians, Ephesians.  Maybe it has worth?  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Year C, Reign of Christ, "Love in the particulars"

C Reign of Christ Pilg 2022 Luke 23:33-43 November 20, 2022             In the time of Jesus, Augustus Caesar and Tiberius Caesar were...