Earth Day

Friday, July 1, 2022

Resource for Abortion Rights

 I gave two important sermons on Galatians recently but hesitate to bring them to print because I don't think they are fully formed.  Brigitte Kahl's book, Reimagining Galatians, has become formative for my spiritual growth.  So I want to make sure I am working that theology out well and fully.  

In the meantime, I want to share some of the writing I am doing in other areas.  I tend to be an assimilator in all my writing.  I am the redactor, using the work of others to try and bring about a cohesive whole.  When I am at my worst, it can feel like my writing is all over the place.  When I am at my best, people remark that they are not sure how I got there but I did.  That is true with sermons as well as collections.

In this age, I think religious literacy is critical for people who are not aligned with the Religious Right.  We have to be able to speak forcefully and viscerally our truths.  We must speak with short clarity as a way of providing visual and audio cues that can be repeated.  That short clarity must also open up to a wider complexity and comprehensiveness which gives us depth and a broad base to stand on.  

So here is a document in my google docs that seeks to provide a theological basis for abortion rights.  I welcome comment, conversation, and potential edits for our work together as we seek to offset the patriarchy that has found power in this moment.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...