Earth Day

Monday, July 6, 2020

An extraordinary moment


Praying the News
Once again you place before us the opportunity for transformation.  Can we see it?  Help us to see it!  This portal, this apocalypse--make it plain so that all of us pass through to a more perfect union.  Help me to find my place in it.  You see me bristling against private prayer, my lack of institutional pulpit, and checking my own privilege.  Are these checks on my self-destruction or are they mirages that provide me with safe escape from my own responsibility?  I cannot tell.  I do not know.  Make plain my role, my part.  Find me Sabbath.  Find me work.

There are remnants, scraps inside this country’s history and inside and outside the church which make me believe the impossible.  Might we be ready for transformation?  I cannot tell.  I do not know.  This portal, this apocalypse—may it register finally that we cannot escape our interconnection.  Now teach us like the life that flows on the Missouri, that great vein that courses through our Mother, that all our work is intersectional.  Your hand touches it all in hope that we will finally awaken to our call and solve for pattern. 

As mothers make their way to borders seeking safety, do not let them be forgotten by mothers who wonder if they can afford food and the rent and, oh, damn it, “I forgot to register her for school!”  We are kept so busy, so a-part.  Teach us how to find a more perfect union.  Move in and around us to remind us what is possible.  Please, Mother of Lovingkindness, this time may it be revealed.  This time . . . walk with us through the portal.  Amen. 

Soundtrack:  The The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

One of the ways the imperial narrative gets into our brains is to make us think we are not moving the dime, making progress, or participating in transformation.  That may be one of the hardest things about working in a white, middle to upper class church—no matter how progressive it is.  Race, the insidious evil it is, makes us white folk think that if it doesn’t happen tomorrow, if I can’t tell I’m making a difference after the first meeting or first event, then I’m out.  We get used to our power carrying the day so that when it doesn’t, when Jericho’s wall doesn’t fall in the first go round, we lose hope, shrug our shoulders, and move on to the next bright, shiny movement. 

I can’t tell you the number of times someone has wanted to part of a particular movement only to bow out after one or two meetings because the glory they had seen in a presentation (after years of work) did not happen in two boring meetings that were required for relationship or clarification or just to hold space.

Some folks are part of the movement because their very lives depend on it so that when the boring, and the slog, and the defeat comes their way, they don’t worry about hope.  The struggle must always be joined.  Something I love is at stake.  And love doesn’t necessarily win.  Love endures. 

It has been an amazing several weeks.  Movement leaders as prominent as Angela Davis have said that this movement feels “very different” and that this is “an extraordinary moment.”[1]  I feel that too.  But it should not be forgotten that this moment was cultivated and made ripe by years of work by people simply talking to their families, pounding the pavement in community organizing, or people developing skills over long periods of time in activism.  From below, God has been at work to remind us of our interconnection and intersectionality—like an everflowing stream. 

We were reminded of that this week when both he Atlantic Coast Pipeline and the Dakota Access Pipeline were shut down.  Winona LaDuke and Honor the Earth have been working for years and reminding us that we are close.  Winona has long said that the time for fossil fuels is coming to an end and it will soon no longer be profitable to go forward.  That day is arriving!  I hope when you saw those headlines over the last two days, you remembered the years of work of Honor the Earth, Oceti Šakowin, and so many other indigenous leaders across the world who have made this day possible.  Mitakuye oyasin. 

The revolution will not be televised.  I pray that we will still join hands with it as Creator walks with us through that portal to a new day. 



[1] Angela Davis, “'An Extraordinary Moment': Angela Davis Says Protests Recognize Long Overdue Anti-Racist Work,” Here and Now, WBUR, June 19, 2020, https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/06/19/angela-davis-protests-anti-racism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...