Earth Day

Monday, February 24, 2020

A Transfiguration/Our Whole Lives, "Our Whole Lives for Older Adult," February 23, 2020


A Transfiguration/Our Whole Lives BFC 2020
Exodus 24:12-18; Matthew 17:1-9
February 23, 2020

          I am not sure why, but as public schools in my neck of the woods tried to teach some basic sexual education, they tried to do so in what was called “Health” class and use immature P.E. teachers or one of the high school football coaches.  This did not seem reasonable or rational to me as my classmates readily left Coach Vogelsang or P.E. teacher Paul Kleeman disconcerted, faces turning red, by asking the most absurd or embarrassing questions.   Our “health” teachers would try to honestly answer the questions, readily show their frustration, only to shortly give up and distribute the word search puzzle they had hoped to pass out at the end of class.  My dad was tasked with the birds and the bees speech, and though Al Mulberry tried, we got the basics followed by a quick, “Any questions?  Ok.  Let mom and me know if you think of anything.”  My father, the P.E. teacher, and the football coach each communicated that they wanted my sexual education to be over as quickly as possible, please be over, please no questions, and that this is the most embarrassing topic you could ever make me teach you. 
          I remember in 6th grade the junior high girls all being brought together in a classroom that excluded every 6th grade guy.  I had no idea what was going on there but my friend, David Singley, looked at me and said, “Well, you know what they’re getting together to talk about!”  So as to not look stupid, I said, with a dumb smile on my face, “Yeah, yep.”  In my head I was screaming, “No, what are they getting together to talk about and why are we being excluded?”  I was destined to be a P.E. teacher or a high school football coach teaching the next round of health classes. 
          My sexual education happened in weird and twisting ways, taught shame all too well by a wider church narrative that also couldn’t talk about sex but didn’t even want me thinking about it. 
I vowed that the same would not be true for my kids as they grew up. When Abe started dating Kathryn in high school, I knew that Kathryn was being raised by her strict Catholic grandmother.  I made the fateful decision to not only sit down with Abe but also with Kathryn.  This began with Abe saying, “Dad, what are you doing?  Dad, please stop.  Dad, this is not a good time.  Dad, this is crazy, why are you doing this?”  Abe could not believe I would deliver all of this good information now, with his girlfriend present.  See, I had dreams that Abe might be uncomfortable in the moment but might later say to me, “Thank you, father.  I had no idea how useful and helpful the information you shared might become.”  No.  Whenever a stray conversation references that day, Abe will say something like, “I have no idea what you were doing.”  Because I have no idea about balance when it comes to these things, I have no idea whether I did a good thing or just an uncomfortable thing. 
In both the Scriptural stories for today, featuring Moses and Jesus on the mountaintop, there are times when their bodies are wholly changed by an experience with the Divine.  But they then must come down from the mountain to live life in the real world.  And that’s where most of us are, trying to figure out these bodies, our own sexuality, living in the real world.  We may have moments of intense sexual bliss or pleasure, moments of divine transfiguration, but many of us are fumbling through private embarrassment about how we might express ourselves sexually when we come down from the mountain.  Quite frankly, I am always more surprised by the people who exhibit a sexual confidence. 
A few weeks ago I attended the introduction to the Our Whole Lives Older Adult sexuality curriculum at Mayflower Congregational facilitated by Kim Harris and Ann Hanson.  I sat next to a nearly 90 year-old woman who, in a mutual exchange of sharing sexual histories, related to me the glories of masturbation.  I remember thinking, in panic, “Where are the exits?  Is there any way I can get out of here?  Should I really be hearing this?”  I was, well, I was surprised and learned more about her sexual joy and delight than I ever imagined I would from someone I mistakenly did not recognize as an incredible sexual human being. 
First, let me say, that I was a little miffed that “Older Adult” is a title referencing all adults 55 and older.  When I shared my shock with Ann Hanson, she, quite expectedly, told me to “Deal with it.”  I think, in so many words, Ann Hanson has rightfully told me to grow up more than anyone else in my life.
The Older Adult version of Our Whole Lives is a necessary and new addition to the already award-winning curriculum that teaches and asks participants to reflect on healthy sexuality.  Kim and Ann were putting it before us in hope that we all would recognize that although our sexual self may not be all of our life, our sexual self touches every part of our life.  The body image portions of Our Whole Lives taught to children now comes full circle as we begin to experience menopause, incontinence, and prostate cancer.  How do we understand the changes and many times the failings in our older adult bodies in light of a loving God who wants to share in our joy and grief?
Kim shared the reflection of a woman lying in bed, as the sun cascaded into her bedroom, as he softly licked her nipple, his mouth closing around it, bringing her a sense of contentment and pleasure.  As Kim went on with the reflection, we realized we were not hearing the story of two sexual partners but of a child nursing at his mother’s breast.  It was a reminder that our sexual selves begin at an early age and with the most basic and mundane life experiences.  But our sexual selves continue on into older adulthood.
Karen and Ann led us through a variety of learning experiences and one was to go through a sexual history meditation, asking ourselves where and when we learned about sexuality and gender, what were the tapes we had regularly playing in our heads, and to think and reflect on who, for good and ill, have been  our sexual teachers throughout our lives.[1]  Who taught us about body image?  When did we first learn about what our gender was and what it meant?  Who has taught us, most profoundly, about who we are as a sexual being? 
Who regularly tells you that you are beautiful?  Handsome?  Attractive?  And do you hear God calling you those things?  Telling you in your sleep that you are beautiful, handsome, and attractive?  Shining in your sleep?  Letting you know that you have been crafted by Creator as, “Mmmmm, you are fearfully and wonderfully made?”
Throughout our time together, we learned just how much is changing in the language of gender and sexuality.  And for the first time in a long time, I heard people asking real questions, like they really wanted to know questions, about their own sexuality and gender.  In particular, guys who I would have always imagined would want to appear “in the know” or uncomfortable asking questions, asked questions with a little bit of a giggle so as not to reveal how vulnerable they felt.  And Ann and Kim would answer with what they knew but would sometimes say they did not know or ask what we thought.  I was grateful for an atmosphere that brought forward questions, that heard every question as important, and saw everyone as a resource for answers.  In the short morning and afternoon session, I believe all of us walked away with a powerful understanding of what it might be like to have a great resource like Our Whole Lives, great teachers like Kim and Ann, and a hunger all of us had on that day to be more reflective, more responsible, and more faithful about what it means to be healthy sexually. 
Nina, Lisa, and I have had long discussions about how we invite parents, children, and youth to the deep commitment required of Our Whole Lives.  I hope you will seek out extended family and friends to commit to it when it will be offered in the next year so that children and youth recognize their own boundaries, are able to make sexual choices in age-appropriate, healthy, and mature ways, and are able to say “yes” at the appropriate times as well as saying “no” for their own protection and well-being, that they learn to love their own bodies and how to identify themselves in the wider world.  But now, also, I hope older adults (ahem), like me, will have the opportunity to learn from this new curriculum, that also requires a great commitment, just how powerful it is to see ourselves as sexual beings worthy of joy, delight, pleasure, and health as we walk in the faithful path Creator is walking with us.  Wouldn’t it be a wonderful, fabulous thing to not only have sexual mountaintop experiences at each age but also learn what it means to come down from the mountain and live sexually healthy lives in the everyday?  That opportunity will be before us.  And I pray all of us will take advantage of it as Our Whole Lives is offered for every age group. 
P.E. teachers and football coaches and clumsy fathers like me don’t always learn the necessary training or the best information to pass along to their students.  But the extensive training done for Our Whole Lives Facilitators promises to transform into a more joyful and healthy people.  May it be so.  Amen. 


[1] I learned that a treasured word of mine, “boundary,” can actually be a trigger word for the homeless population and this expanded my understanding of language and the need for me to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...