Earth Day

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Twenty-second Sunday in Ordinary Time, September 3, 2017, "Love the folks in front of you"

A Proper 17 22 Ord BFC 2017
Romans 12:1-8
September 3, 2017

        One of the worst days of my life happened almost 12 years ago.  In the same week it was decided that I would not have residential custody of my two boys, Jacob and Abraham, I would have to load my car up to travel to my new pastorate in North Hampton, New Hampshire.  For the two days it took me to travel from Wichita, Kansas, to the seacoast of New Hampshire, I cried almost the whole way, pounding the wheel of my car, and hoping against hope that I could and would still be their father. 
I sometimes had a rough go of it North Hampton, New Hampshire.  I followed a pastor of twenty-two years with no real interim in a very conservative part of the world.  As any pastor can attest to following a “golden age” pastorate, everything you do in those situations is compared to your predecessor.  In the midst of so much conflict, however, there were a number of people who looked out for me and spent a great deal of time finding out what mattered to me and how they could minister to me.  In fact, the easiest part of that ministry was during the summer when the boys would arrive and the church and the community would embrace the boys far more than we could ever hope or imagine.
I know I say difficult things, and I’m not so naïve as to think that everyone can love me.  But I cannot stay long in a place where I have to fight a congregation to love my kids.
 When the boys were younger, and we would live in Urbana, Illinois, Tracy and I would sometimes travel to Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin, to return our two boys, to their mother and step-dad.  It was always painful.  I would drag their pillows into my room so I could still smell them, still think of them as with me.  And I would always, always have to have a good cry.  Those experiences reminded me that we were not the only cocoon in which our boys lived and grew.  They also lived and grew in the cocoon which is the home of their mom and step-dad.  They lived and grew in the cocoon which was Elkhart-Lake Glenbeulah Community Grade School and High School.  They lived and grew under the watchful eye of a paternal grandfather who became dear to them.  Throughout the years, Jacob and Abraham and Sophia have had to live and grow in cocoons several communities have provided them, Sophia now in the cocoon which is this church, Billings First Congregational Church, Billings Senior High, and NOVA Center for the Performing Arts. 
  And I am thankful, grateful, and discovering that many of us are learning what it means to live and love in blended or unique families.  This church community is important to my adolescent daughter because the Search Institute, an independent nonprofit organization that does research to provide resources for healthy communities, asserts that one of the greatest indicators for an adolescent to have a safe passage into adulthood is the number of non-parent adults who are involved in their lives through that passage.[1]
Beyond our children, part of what we promise to the many families and communities that send children, youth, and young adults our way is that we will be a cocoon for these gifts, these Children of God, as they learn to live and love in Billings and at Billings First Congregational Church. 
Family is no longer the most basic element of human connection for many of us.  Perhaps it never was and we, romantically, tried to make it so.   My brother lives in Denver, my oldest sister lives in Greensboro, North Carolina, and my youngest sister lives in my hometown of Metamora.  I will never build a local neighborhood, a community, a church with brother or sisters.  If I am to build a neighborhood, a community, a church, I will have to do that with the people who are given to me.  I believe Christian teaching suggests that the most basic element of human connection is community.
Christina Baldwin is the author of a book titled Calling the Circle.   Calling the Circle is a recognition that loving and growing community life does not happen by chance.  Baldwin believes loving and growing community happens when we learn one another’s stories.  It is rough and tumble.  It is not easy.  She writes, “The purpose of life is not personal comfort; it’s to grow the soul.”[2]   After reading Baldwin’s book, Calling the Circle, I decided to read one of her other books titled, The Seven Whispers:  Listening to the Voice of the Spirit.[3]  One of the seven whispers Baldwin believes we need to hear in our daily life is to “Love the folks in front of you.”  That seems like such a simple notion.  I even found myself rebelling against the chapter without having read it because I thought it would cut against the grain of the values I hold for world mission.
“Love the folks in front of you”, however, is not about forgetting the world to love your family and friends.  This whisper is about taking responsibility for where we are planted.  Though I realize how thankful I am for the people who offer this to me and my family, I am not so good at following through on it myself.   I find myself wishing my family would move back, pining in love for friends I wish were closer, and church members who would travel to be with me in this new church community so they could tell you how great I am (After all, you can fool some of the people some of the time.).  Loving the folks in front of you reminds us all to look for the blessings we receive from the folks who are with us in pre-school, class, work, the neighborhood and for us to share our blessings and gifts in return with these folk.
The scripture verse read for us today reminded me that the early church was struggling with that very issue.  Economics, oppression, natural disaster, and war had broken down the family unit.  This passage is reminiscent of passages from Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, that seaport city where Rome would routinely dump conquered people after conquered people.  Into that deeply fractured, rootless, and hopeless circumstance, Paul counsels them to especially love the weakest and most vulnerable but to also recognize the spiritual gifts God has given them all in their profound diversity.  What Jesus commands and Paul restates in Romans is to remember the qualities of love and love the folks in front of you.  Help each other out financially, give hospitality to one another, rejoice at each other’s triumphs, weep when one of you has spilled out their guts.  Live in harmony and mutuality.  Don’t look for payback, but overcome evil with good.  If Jesus and Paul tell this to family and friends that already love one another, all they offer is sentimental platitudes.
I think the gospel message had more grit than sentimental platitudes.  Jesus and Paul do not tell that to people who already love one another.  They say that to a group of people who are looking around the table wondering why that tax collector or that prostitute or, hey, hey, did someone say that Gentile or Galatian, barbarian or savage was welcome here?  Yeah?  That’s, like, the whole project, Paul believes.  Creating community among the conquered is what Paul’s letters to the Corinthians are all about.  Yes, mish-mash and diversity of First Century Rome may yearn for family and homeland, but the reality was that they were going to need to make community for themselves in their new  villages, cities, and faith communities. 
Love the folk in front of you.  Isn’t that one of the hardest things for a church in our day and age to do?   Churches used to be filled with many of our own family members!  Even today, I must run into one person or family a week who remarks, “Oh, we used to go or our family used to go to your church!”  (yearning) We pine for those friends who no longer attend or have left town and think of them more as our church than the people we see in church now!  Many of us feel it.  (dreamily) After all, something feels right with the world when those people, remembering a “fairer time” return to church, (sigh) all gathered in one pew, on Christmas Eve, Palm Sunday, or Easter Day!  We feel all warm and fuzzy!  They’re back! And they loved it!  Maybe they’re back for good, maybe (in disappointment). . . oh, they’re not coming.
But you see, there are people in this congregation right now whom God has given us, these people, who are hoping, praying, begging that this is the community who will love the folk in front of them.  There are young adults who want to feel blessed and trying out what it means to be leaders, lesbian mothers who want to know their kids are treasured, people who are in pain who need a place to tell their story. 
Here is this good news.  Where I see this happening in our church and community life, and it is happening here in profound ways, I see the Empire of Heaven being pieced together, the Beloved Community midwifed, a community growing into the playful and loving delight of working together in God’s garden.  As we begin another school year, another year of church activity, let us begin to nurture neighborhoods, communities, this church by loving the folks in front of us.  Amen.



[1] See the 40 Developmental Asset lists for all ages at http://www.search-institute.org/downloads/
[2] Christina Baldwin, The Seven Whispers:  A Spiritual Practice for Times Like These (New World Library, 2002).
[3] Christina Baldwin, The Seven Whispers:  Listening to the Voices of the Spirit (New World Library 2002)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sermon, Proper 6, "Roman law and order co-opts what it means to be faithful"

  I want to make it clear I would never preach this sermon.  One of my cardinal rules for sermon-giving is that I should never appear as her...